About Kerry and Marlies Scott
President of Narrow Gate Trekking, Kerry is a seasoned outdoorsman and African traveller. He is a graduate of the North Carolina Outward Bound School and a retired Army officer.
His 28 years in the military included tours of duty in Austria, Ethiopia, Rwanda, and Liberia. In addition, Kerry has travelled extensively in Southern Africa, including driving support to several long-distance treks across the Namib and the Kalahari deserts.
Vice president of Narrow Gate Trekking, Marlies is an accomplished equestrian. In addition to long-distance rides in both Africa and Ireland, she competes in competitive trails events at home in Virginia.
With a background in medicine and pharmacy in Germany, Marlies comes prepared to help both horses and riders get comfortably through their trek.
What To Know Before You Go
- A minimum of 5 riders must be confirmed or schedule dates may be cancelled one month prior to departure due to under-booking.
- Transfers are not included to or from airports.
- It is dry and dusty on the ride and you should be prepared to get dirty.
- Water is limited on the ride and not easily obtainable anywhere along the route. Priority is given to watering the horses and to cooking; this may mean that there is not enough water for a shower every day.
- Airfare is not included with these rides.
- Insurance is not included, but is strongly recommended with respect to riding injuries and medical coverage for the account of the client. We operate on a responsibility waiver basis and participation is at your own risk.
- Tourist visas are required for both Tanzania and Kenya. These are obtainable at entry points.